Friday, April 20, 2012

Udon Thani ....... BOOOOOORRREEEDDD!!!


20/04/2012 2:48 PM

Wow Udon Thani is big! It’s like a mini Bangkok... seriously! Especially where I’m staying, is like the mini version of Khao San Road. Wish it wasn’t so damn hot though, id like to go walk around. I’m gonna give it a few hours and hopefully it will cool down. 

So yesterday was nice, did not end up doing that much, however, I did get to see central Vientiane, and from what I saw, I quite liked it; French cafes, tree lined boulevards, bookstores; it was nice. Most of my day consisted however, of going out for about 30 minutes at a time and having to find somewhere to cool off; the heat is exhausting. I’m glad I made the decision to head south by bus rather than fly straight out of LP... even given the long bus ride. Dinner with Tom and Ann never happened last night, they got off work late last night after a long day and didn’t feel like making the hour long commute into town at night. Completely understandable! Fortunately, Tom was around town this morning so I got to chat with him for a while before heading to my bus for Udon Thani.

The bus ride itself was very easy, relaxing and there were no issues with the border whatsoever. It left at 10:40 and I arrived here by 1:00 PM so no complaints.... I think it was also probably the nicest bus I’ve been on since being in Asia. So that went well.

I’m currently staying at Top Mansion which is conveniently located right next to the bus and train station, as well as in the centre of the bar district, not that I have any intent on going out tonight, and should not be more than a 20 minute tuk-tuk ride from the airport tomorrow. 

Price vs. Quality, this is probably one of the best guest houses I’ve stayed in. Its about $12 a night, full AC, Digital TV, king-size bed, mini fridge and my own private balcony. There is wi-fi, but because I opted for the farthest room in the back, to my understanding it get rather noisy in the front at night, I don’t get it in my room... which isint really an issue.

So that’s about it for now, not much else to say. This is my second to last night in an Asian hotel... So yeah. That’s it!

Oh something I forgot to write about; random coincidence: I ran into Manichan; the woman who owns Manichan Guesthouse... the place that was my home away from home in LP, while I was in the bus station in Vientiane. She is also off to Bangkok via Udon Thani. Nice to see a familiar face; she was on a different bus however, so I doubt ill be seeing her again, but it was nice bumping into her nonetheless.
I’ve just stepped out into my balcony damn its hot out! Still, I’m going to go wander around I think.

20/04/2012 5:30 PM
So just spent the last couple of hours wandering around this town, I should probably call it a city, but whatever. Not all that interesting; glad I'm only here for one night. It really is pretty much just a mini version of Bangkok minus the traffic. The area that I am in, I'm not sure, but it pretty much consists solely of massage parlors, salons, bars, hotels and restaurants.... I guess I'm in the tourist area. Anyways, will be happy to get on my flight tomorrow, however, going to have to find something to do in Bangkok for a day.

BOOOORRREEEDDDDDD

All for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment