Saturday, March 31, 2012

New Favorite Country?


3/31/2012 5:24 PM

I think Lao may now be my favorite country… it’s going to be a hard pick between Lao and Burma. Burma is unique and different, but there is this sense of freedom one gets in Lao. There is a saying here “Lao: Please Don’t Rush”; LPDR. It’s a way of life. Relax, take things slow and just put your worries aside. Getting lost, taking a wrong-turn, your bike breaking down; sometimes things can just work out for the better. I’m not sure what it is; no matter where you are, not matter what’s happening, one just gets the perpetual feelings of happiness of freedom…. Of a certain sense of no matter what happens, things will turn out for the better. Maybe I’m naïve, I only arrived yesterday, but I am already lamenting the fact that I have such little time here. 

Kuang Si Falls
This afternoon, well, let’s just say I learnt how to ride a proper motorbike. They rent Chinese-type, Harleys here for $15 a day and they are so much fun to cruise around on. Mind you, the first hour or so of learning how to ride a manual bike was a bite hectic, but once you figure out the shifting, figure out that it is pretty much the exact opposite of driving a car, it is so much fun. 

I had not planned much for the afternoon today after my incredible morning, but after doing a bit of reading I thought visiting Kuang Si Falls would make for a good afternoon trip. It a wonderful place about 36 km from where I am staying. I had originally opted to rent a tuk-tuk to get me there, but that was going to be expensive, so, instead, I figured I’d learn to ride a manual motorbike and ride out there myself. You might be asking why I didn’t just rent a scooter. Well, let’s just say I’ve been there and done that; besides, the feelings of being on a giant bike with a 250CC engine between your legs brings nothing but feelings of joy and feelings..... Il leave the inappropriate jokes out of this post. Anyways, It’s a 36 km drive along this winding road through rice patty fields, small villages, and it is just beautiful. I will admit, I think I enjoyed the ride more than the actual waterfall and bear sanctuary itself. 

I’ve got the bike for a 24 hour period, so I will do another ride tomorrow morning and head somewhere further. The company that I am renting the bike from has another shop in Vientiane, so there is a small possibility that I might rent the bike for the entire time that I am here and opt to get everywhere myself; pretty much what I wanted to do in Vietnam, but completely possible this time. I’m going to the shop tomorrow to look into it. But I mean seriously, how cool would that be. Riding around Lao on a Harley bike for two weeks!

Kuang Si Swimming Hole
In other news, unfortunately, my elephant adventure may not happen. The company that organizes it unfortunately is not operating the specific adventure that I want, and their alternatives don’t really involve what I want. The original three day experiences involved hiking into the jungle, sleeping in tents... etc etc; their alternatives are pretty much two, one day adventures where they put you up in a hotel and drive you places…. Not at all what I want. Il do some more research tomorrow and see what else I can find.
At this point I am considering skipping Vang Vien… as it is pretty much just a party town. I might opt to spend more time here and around the Plan of Jars area as well as Vientiane and the national park that is close by. Only time will tell.


So that’s pretty much all for now

No comments:

Post a Comment